Mosty Plumbing Kerrville
Slab Leak Detection & Repair
Slab Leak Detection and Repair in Kerrville can be a daunting undertaking, but if left unrepaired, a slab leak can cause serious damage to your home's interior and foundation. A slab leak occurs when the pipes running under and through the concrete foundation of a home are compromised and begin leaking water under the slab itself. This type of leak can cause the foundation to crack or heave and wet spots (with the presence of mold) can occur on the slab, under the flooring or even rise up through the floor and walls bottom plate. Water slab leaks in our area are very serious and should be addressed immediately. Give Mosty Plumbing Kerrville a call at the first signs of a slab leak.
A slab leak is defined as water leaking through pipes installed directly into or under the concrete slab. Many homes in Texas are concrete slab homes, meaning the water pipes go into, under or through the concrete slab. A slab leak may indicate that a water pipe has burst or started leaking as the result of a possible foundation shift because of drought or normal ground shifting. Settling of the foundation can easily bend and damage pipes beneath the surface causing slab leaks. Poor workmanship at the time of construction can also be responsible for leaks under the foundation. Slab leaks can also occur from corrosion of the pipe due to high pH levels in the water. Old galvanized pipes will also finally corrode and start leaking after years of service.
Slab leaks occur when the copper or galvanized pipes are cracked and leaking in the concrete slab or under the foundation. They can also occur when the water pipes below the concrete burst. Since buildings are often constructed on theses slabs, the plumbing for a home or a business is placed under the concrete foundation. Slab leaks that go undetected can cause further damage to the foundation or slab creating an air pocket and weaken the concrete further, shifting the water and drain pipes and potentially causing even more damage. You need a team of slab leak specialists to help you with water leak detection and perform a proper slab leak repair.
Symptoms of a Slab Leak:
- The sound of running water when no water is being used.
- If you do not find any visual clues to the source of the sound of water, it could mean you have a hidden leak in the wall or under the slab.
- A hot spot on the floor could indicate a hot water line leak in your slab. Hot water lines are usually insulated and don’t heat the floor unless it was built as a radiant heating system.
- Mildew or excessive moisture under carpets could indicate your slab is cracked and the pipes are leaking. Cracks in a slab due to a leak allow moisture into the flooring. Drywall will soak up the moisture and create an ideal environment for mold to grow behind the wall. Mold is an environmental hazard and proper cleanup and restoration is critical. After the mold is removed, then the location of the source of moisture that feeds the mold can be identified, detected and repaired.
- High water bills could indicate a slab leak. Unusually high water bills could mean a slab leak, leak behind a wall or leak where you cannot see it. First have the water authority come and check your meter to make sure that it is working properly. If your meter is working properly, this may indicate a water leak.
Slab leaks can become a major problem if not addressed correctly by a professional. Water pipes that leak below the slab of a house can be frustrating to homeowners. They can be difficult to identify and hard to know exactly where the leak is or how big the problem is until a specialized technician starts working. Unfortunately, very old pipes, damaged copper or defective pipes, will eventually leak.
Slab Leak Repair
Rather than removing concrete and performing a slab leak spot repair, which is more generally referred to as a water line leak repair, a slab leak repipe or re-route would be more cost effective by capping off the failed line and install a new line in the walls or ceiling. Slab leaks can be repaired in a number of ways. Replacing just the one line may be a mistake if there are indications of multiple water pipe failures or "pin holing" in the home pipes or perhaps the age of the home. If the home has deteriorating water lines, then a complete copper pipe replacement (copper repipe) would be advisable. All the water lines would be replaced with a cross linked polyethylene (PEX), a material which has a proven long term record of being resistant to aggressive water conditions.
The professional plumbers at Mosty Plumbing Kerrville are experts in repairing slab leaks under your home's foundation. You can count on us to quickly find the leak, make the necessary repairs with full disclosure of price, and never at an unnecessary cost to you. If you are looking for a fast, affordable and honest plumber,
Give Mosty Plumbing Kerrville a Call Today!